Posted: 2/8/203 | February eighth, 2023
Copenhagen is a vigorous, fashionable, and enjoyable capital good for weekend getaways or as a base as you discover the area at giant.
It’s a laid-back metropolis with a top quality of dwelling, boasting charming rows of colourful homes, ingenious inexperienced areas, inviting canals, and bike lanes galore (there are 5 occasions as many bikes as vehicles within the metropolis, and extra bikes than individuals too).
The Danish capital may be very compact and made for strolling. And each neighborhood has its personal distinct taste and persona. Because of this, it’s essential to have an thought of which a part of city you’d wish to plant your self in whereas right here.
That can assist you resolve the place to remain in Copenhagen, listed below are the most effective neighborhoods – and why I like them – so you’ll be able to select the realm that most accurately fits your journey type and finances.
However, earlier than I get to the specifics, listed below are some frequent questions I get requested about Copenhagen neighborhoods:
What’s the most effective neighborhood for first-time guests?
Indre By is among the most picturesque areas of city and the place a lot of the motion is. In the event you’re new to town, that is the most effective place to base your self.
What’s the most effective neighborhood for buying?
Frederiksberg is an upscale neighborhood with loads of boutique outlets and cafés the place you’ll be able to sit again and watch town go by.
What’s the most effective neighborhood for foodies?
Nørrebro is essentially the most numerous neighborhood within the metropolis and is bursting with scrumptious delicacies, from low-cost avenue meals to Michelin-starred eateries.
What’s the most effective neighborhood for hipsters?
As soon as a run-down neighborhood, Vesterbro is now lined with stylish outlets, third-wave cafés, and funky galleries.
What’s the most effective neighborhood to really feel like a neighborhood?
Amagerbro is a largely residential neighborhood good for taking within the native tempo of life.
What’s the most effective neighborhood total?
Indre By has one thing for everybody and actually shouldn’t be missed!
With these questions now answered, here’s a extra particular breakdown of every neighborhood — with advised lodging for every, so that you’ll know precisely the place to remain in Copenhagen.
The place to Keep in Copenhagen for First-Time Guests: Indre By
Indre By, often known as Copenhagen Heart or downtown, might be the primary neighborhood most first-time guests discover after they got down to uncover this metropolis. In any case, it’s one of the crucial picturesque areas of city, full with rows of colourful, centuries-old homes on the harbor, medieval thoroughfares, a citadel, the primary artwork museum (Statens Museum for Kunst), Europe’s longest pedestrian buying avenue, and even the queen’s residence. Tivoli Gardens, town’s small amusement park, can be situated right here.
Indre By, actually “inside metropolis,” or as locals name it, Nyhavn, is essentially the most handy place to remain for these desirous to pack quite a bit in on their first go to, since all the primary sights are just some steps away — together with Freetown Christiania, town’s (in)well-known commune/micronation.
Greatest Locations to Keep in Indre By:
- BUDGET: Bedwood Hostel – Housed in a properly preserved mid-18th-century warehouse, Bedwood has dorm-room beds with energy retailers and studying lamps. The hostel additionally has a cool frequent room the place you’ll be able to drink beer, espresso, and tea, in addition to a courtyard with a stunning ambiance.
- MID-RANGE: Hotel Bethel – Located proper on the canal within the heart of Indre By, Bethel is made up of three historic buildings: the purple constructing, the yellow constructing, and the warehouse. Wherever they put you, you’re certain to have a cushty room with a comfy mattress. Some rooms have beautiful views of the canal. The breakfast is tasty and filling too.
- LUXURY: The Socialist – This luxe property boasts giant rooms — a few of which have very good metropolis views — that get plenty of pure mild and have marble loos (together with plush robes), USB retailers, and outsized armchairs.
The place to Keep in Copenhagen for Purchasing: Frederiksberg
In the event you like a dose of sophistication together with your travels, ebook your self at a resort or hostel in Frederiksberg, a neighborhood west of downtown. Upscale clothes boutiques, theaters, fancy espresso spots and eating places, and quiet cafés flank the district’s streets. You’ll additionally discover a quaint park, a diminutive citadel, and picturesque canals which are good for strolling round when the solar is out.
Greatest Locations to Keep in Frederiksberg:
- BUDGET: CityHub – Situated simply over the border in Vesterbro, CityHub packs some perks for being a budget-friendly resort. There’s a sauna, a self-service bar, and the dorms are made up of futuristic-looking (and cozy) pods.
- MID-RANGE: Scandic Falkoner – Newly renovated, the economic stylish Scandic Falkoner has a theater theme, referencing Frederiksberg’s long-standing fame for its appearing scene. All rooms have comfortable king-sized beds, and the rooms on the upper flooring have beautiful views of town. The in-house bar and restaurant use solely Danish substances.
- LUXURY: Hotel Sct. Thomas – Additionally close by in Vesterbro, the Lodge Sct. Thomas is essentially the most luxurious resort that’s near Frederiksberg, only a brief stroll away. It has a rooftop terrace with unimaginable metropolis views, and should you ebook immediately, the luscious breakfast buffet is complimentary. All rooms have desks, armchairs, AC, and worldwide TV channels.
The place to remain in Copenhagen for Foodies: Nørrebro
Northwest from the historic heart sits Nørrebro, residence to the famed Assistens Cemetery, the place you’ll be able to view the grave of creator Hans Christian Andersen (he wrote The Little Mermaid and The Ugly Duckling, amongst many different noteworthy tales). Nørrebro additionally occurs to be essentially the most ethnically numerous district on the town: stroll down the road and also you’ll hear dozens of various languages.
It’s additionally residence to a slew of eating places and cafés, from nice no-frills spots to Michelin-starred eateries. In the event you’re unsure the place or what to eat, come to Nørrebro and also you’ll be spoiled with a wealthy number of nice eating places.
Greatest Locations to Keep in Nørrebro
- BUDGET: Globalhagen Hostel – Prized for its consideration to environmental points, Globalhagen is a nonprofit/NGO property with a number of kinds of snug dorm rooms. The hostel additionally has a big screening room to observe TV and movies, and a full kitchen for friends to make use of.
- MID-RANGE: Avenue Hotel – The smooth Avenue Lodge, situated on the border of Nørrebro and Frederiksberg, affords a bountiful natural breakfast. It has rooms of varied sizes, together with small singles and plus-sized doubles, all of which have comfortable beds and high-quality tub merchandise. There’s additionally a wine completely happy hour for friends within the early night.
- LUXURY: Hotel Nora – A number of blocks south of the cemetery, Nora has 42 high-ceilinged rooms in an ornate Nineteenth-century constructing. All have fridges, electrical kettles for espresso and tea, and air con. Visitors may request Danish or worldwide newspapers within the morning.
The Greatest Locations to Keep in Copenhagen for Hipsters: Vesterbro
There as soon as was a time when Vesterbro, situated west of the historic heart and almost hugging the primary canal, was a no-go zone, its streets prowled by drug sellers. A few of these components are nonetheless there, however immediately Vesterbro is among the hippest locations to hang around within the Danish capital. The streets are actually lined with cutting-edge artwork galleries, hipster bars, third-wave espresso outlets (emphasizing prime quality), and wonderful eating places.
There will not be a ton of lodging choices in Vesterbro, however what’s there — and simply throughout the border in neighboring districts — is nice for just a few nights.
Greatest Locations to Keep in Vesterbro:
- BUDGET: YMCA Interpoint Hostel – This 54-bed hostel within the coronary heart of Vesterbro is a favourite summertime residence for backpackers. It has each measurement dorm room conceivable, plus a big frequent kitchen and a vigorous frequent room for hanging out and assembly fellow vacationers.
- MID-RANGE: Hotel Ottilia – A part of the previous Carlsberg brewery, Otilia has gained a number of structure awards for its transformation into a stunning mid-range resort. Its rooms have spherical home windows with good metropolis views, giant beds, espresso makers, and even exercise tools. In the event you improve to a set, the foods and drinks choices are complimentary.
- LUXURY: Scandic Kødbyen – Smooth and funky, this new resort in neighboring Kødbyen is just a brief stroll to Vesterbro’s greatest bars, eating places, and nightclubs. The spacious rooms have giant, thick, snug beds, and a few even have French balconies.
The place to Keep to Really feel like a Native: Amagerbro
Located to the south, Amagerbro is a sprawling neighborhood with a big residential part. It’s additionally on Amager Island, which as soon as had the moniker “Shit Island,” as a result of it was the place the place town’s sewage was deposited.
At this time, the sewage is gone, and the neighborhood is among the most sought-after locations to reside, because the streets are flanked by cool cafés, eating places serving elevated Danish fare, and distinctive outlets.
Greatest Locations to Keep in Amagerbro:
- BUDGET: Hotel Amager – For a budget-friendly resort, Amager has plenty of good perks, together with a big breakfast buffet and a complimentary pint of beer whenever you test in. The resort additionally has a sports activities bar.
- MID-RANGE: CPH Studio Hotel – This 149-room property has a unprecedented and enormous rooftop terrace, the proper place to relax out after a day of exploring. A lot of the rooms have kitchenettes too.
- LUXURY: Radisson Blu – Set not removed from the famed Christiania neighborhood, the Radisson Blu is a part of a sequence that’s dependable and cozy. Attempt to request a room on the higher flooring for scenic views. Rooms have tea and occasional makers, and the resort has a big health heart. There’s additionally an Italian restaurant on the bottom flooring.
Copenhagen has plenty of issues to see — from Tivoli Gardens to the Nationwide Museum of Denmark to Christiansborg Palace to the choice and hippie-laden Christiania district. With an abundance of charming, lovely, and laid-back neighborhoods that showcase Danish tradition, Copenhagen is simple to take pleasure in, irrespective of through which you select to base your self.
E book Your Journey: Logistical Suggestions and Methods
E book Your Flight
Discover a low-cost flight through the use of Skyscanner. It’s my favourite search engine as a result of it searches web sites and airways across the globe so that you at all times know no stone is being left unturned.
E book Your Lodging
You may ebook your hostel with Hostelworld. If you wish to keep someplace apart from a hostel, use Booking.com because it constantly returns the most affordable charges for guesthouses and inns.
Don’t Overlook Journey Insurance coverage
Journey insurance coverage will shield you towards sickness, harm, theft, and cancellations. It’s complete safety in case something goes incorrect. I by no means go on a visit with out it as I’ve had to make use of it many occasions up to now. My favourite firms that provide the most effective service and worth are:
Need to journey at no cost?
Journey bank cards mean you can earn factors that may be redeemed at no cost flights and lodging. They’re what maintain me touring a lot for thus little. Try my guide to picking the right card and my current favorites to get began and see the newest greatest offers.
Able to E book Your Journey?
Try my resource page for the most effective firms to make use of whenever you journey. I checklist all those I take advantage of after I journey. They’re the most effective at school and you’ll’t go incorrect utilizing them in your journey.