With the entire issues to do in Koh Phangan, it’s nothing in need of paradisiacal. Its golden seashores and turquoise water are rivaled in magnificence solely by its personal towering palms and luxurious jungle.
The island sits within the Gulf of Thailand and thrums with power 24/7. There are quite a few unimaginable places to visit in Thailand, however be sure to put this island in your listing.
That is considered one of my favourite islands in Thailand, I had such an ideal expertise right here. From the bustling streets lined with meals stalls to the serenity of secret seashores, there’s an infinite listing of issues to do in Koh Phangan, however listed here are my prime 25.
1. Expertise The Full Moon Social gathering
Okay, so my first one isn’t distinctive, however the remainder are!
Let’s begin with the obvious and standard factor to do in Koh Phangan. The bulk of people that go to Koh Phangan accomplish that for the Full Moon Party. The social gathering takes place on Haad Rin Seashore each month and brings in round 30,000 party-goers.
To get the complete expertise, cowl your self in UV paint, drink alcohol from a bucket, and social gathering till dawn. In case you’re into events, that is undoubtedly one of many coolest things to do in Thailand.
- The place: Haad Rin Seashore
- When: Each full moon
- How: Keep in one of many many accommodations near Haad Rin Beach after which stroll to the social gathering with the opposite neon ravers
- Value: The social gathering is free so simply funds for nonetheless a lot alcohol and paint you need to purchase
2. Go Diving at Sail Rock
Sail Rock is unquestionably the very best dive website within the Gulf of Thailand. The rock is about an hour’s boat trip from Koh Phangan and appropriate for divers of all ranges. Star gamers at this dive website embody manta rays, barracuda, and whale sharks.
- The place: Sail Rock, located between Koh Phangan and Koh Tao
- When: Yr-round however the very best diving circumstances are from April – October
- How: E book a diving tour from one of many respected dive colleges on the island. Click here for a newbie dive, and click here in the event you’re already licensed.
- Value: 2000 – 2500 Baht ($70-80USD)
☞ SEE ALSO: Things To Do in Bangkok – High 13 Superior Issues You Gained’t Need to Miss
3. Gorge on Thai Meals in The Thong Sala Evening Market
The power within the Thong Sala Evening Market alone makes it among the best issues to do in Koh Phangan. However, that’s not why you go. From steaming bowls of pad thai to contemporary falafel slathered in hummus, the night time market is a foodie paradise. There are such a lot of unimaginable foods to try in Thailand, with markets normally providing the very best.
- The place: Thong Sala ($4 in a cab from Haad Rin)
- When: Each night time
- How: Simply rock up with an empty abdomen and order something that takes your fancy
- Value: 150 Baht ($5) for dinner and a beer
4. Hike Up Khao Ra (among the best issues to do in Koh Phangan)
I guess you didn’t assume you’d be mountain climbing on this social gathering island, did you? In case you’ve carried out your packing correctly and have what you need to hike in comfort, this journey is effectively price doing. The spherical journey up and down takes round 3 hours relying in your tempo and it’s a fairly straightforward climb – you don’t want a information.
Whereas the trail is well-maintained, it’s not marked very effectively. There are a couple of intersections the place you’ll be uncertain of which method to go, however after about 100m, you’ll see an indication…you may need to backtrack a few instances. Click here for more details.
- The place: Within the North of the island
- When: Both early within the morning or late within the afternoon to keep away from the noon warmth
- How: Begin at Khao Ra Retreat and Guesthouse and comply with the trail from there
- Value: Free
5. Get Moist at Problem Phangan
Have you ever ever watched Complete Wipeout on TV and wished you can do it? Effectively, since this is likely one of the issues to do in Koh Phangan, you’ll be able to! This water-based impediment course is a lot enjoyable and may have you in stitches as you bounce, flip, and faceplant into the water. Seize some buddies and luxuriate in. Click here to be taught extra.
- The place:90/22 Moo 1, Bantai, Koh Phangan
- When: Each day 10am – 6pm
- How: Hop in a cab, they’ll know the place to go
- Value: 500 Baht ($15)
6. Go To The Half Moon Social gathering
In case you aren’t going to be in Koh Phangan for the Full Moon Social gathering however nonetheless need some UV rave motion, this can kind you out. The Half Moon Social gathering takes place in an enormous open-air venue and has three music levels: psytrance, home and hip-hop. The competition doesn’t e-book huge names and has a most capability of round 4,000, making it way more low-key than the Full Moon Social gathering.
- The place: Within the forest, north of Baan Tai
- When: One week earlier than and one week after the Full Moon Social gathering (each half moon)
- How: Each taxi on the island will know the best way to get there
- Value: 1,500 Baht ($45) on the door
7. Take pleasure in The Sundown From Secret Mountain
Sitting atop a steep hill is Secret Mountain, a neighborhood restaurant with unparalleled views. Individuals have a tendency to go up right here within the late afternoon to eat and drink whereas they watch the solar set over the horizon. From method up there, you get panoramic vistas over the island and you may even see the Ang Thong Islands rising up out of the water. This is likely one of the finest issues to do in Koh Phangan on the finish of the day.
- The place: 42/3 Baan Nai Suan, Moo 2. Click here for more.
- When: Each day simply earlier than sundown
- How: Both drive to the highest of the hill or hike in the event you’re feeling energetic
- Value: 50 Baht ($1.50) to make use of the pool, 500 Baht ($15) for meals and drinks
8. Eat Some Israeli Meals at Paprika
Israeli meals won’t be the very first thing you need to eat if you get to Thailand, however in the event you want a break from pad thai, Paprika has a number of the best culinary choices on the island. The meals is contemporary, scrumptious, and low-cost; and the portion sizes are greater than ample even for an enormous eater like myself.
- The place: Moo 6, Haad Rin
- When: Each day 11am-11pm
- How: Stroll there out of your lodging in Haad Rin or get a cab
- Value: 300 Baht ($10) for meals and drinks
9. Discover The Ang Thong Nationwide Park
In order for you journey and exercise, put Ang Thong Nationwide Park on the prime of your listing of issues to do in Koh Phangan. The park contains big inexperienced islands that loom dramatically over the water. Housing secret caves that may be explored by kayak or just by swimming, the park makes for a critically cool expertise.
- The place: Within the Gulf of Thailand between Koh Phangan and Koh Samui
- When: Yr-round or April – October for the very best climate circumstances
- How: Boat tour
- Value: 1800 Baht ($55) for a speedboat tour
☞ SEE ALSO: Things To Do in Chiang Mai – A Listing of The High 17 Greatest, 21 superior things to do in Chiang Rai and Things To Do in Pai. In case you’re heading to different islands, don’t miss the superior things to do in Koh Lipe. There are such a lot of superb locations to go to in Thailand 😀
10. Kayak Round The Island
If you’re the type of one that likes to discover solo, versus in a tour group, then seize your self a kayak and begin paddling. Most seashores have kayaks for rent however discover out what the currents at that seaside are like earlier than you commit.
Wok Tum to Koh Ma alongside the west coast usually has calm water in addition to pristine hidden seashores to which you’ll be able to paddle. At all times heed the recommendation of locals earlier than setting off, and guarantee you have got correct security tools on board (life jacket, water, and so forth.)
- The place: Wherever, however Wok Tum to Koh Ma is an effective guess.
- When: Everytime you need
- How: Go to the seaside and rent a kayak
- Value: 150 Baht ($5) per hour
11. Trek to Bottle Seashore
Conde Nast Traveller known as this seaside the very best in Koh Phangan and I’ve to say I agree. The trek by means of the jungle is difficult and you’ll critically remorse it in the event you don’t lather your self in bug spray beforehand, however it can all be price it if you get there.
Altogether, it can take you about an hour and a half to finish the trek from Coconut Seashore to Bottle Seashore. This was most likely considered one of my favorite issues to do in Koh Phangan!
- The place: The island’s North Coast
- When: Yr-round however keep away from November as that is when the rain is heaviest
- How: Go to Chalok Lam after which stick with it to Coconut Seashore. From there simply comply with the trail all the way in which to Bottle Seashore.
- Value: Free
☞ SEE ALSO: Backpacking Thailand – The Final Journey Information
12. Study How To Prepare dinner Thai Meals
Need to impress your folks at your subsequent banquet? Study to make Thai food. Severely, it really works. Take a look at this highly-rated Thai cooking class run by a neighborhood lady. You’ll go to the natural farm and see the place the entire components you’ll be cooking with come from, then discover ways to make conventional Thai dishes. Better of all, you get to eat all the pieces you make on the finish.
- The place: Meet at Pantip Market, Thong Sala
- When: Test the schedule
- How: Test availability and enroll here
- Value: $53 for a half-day class
13. Rent a Bike and Discover The Island
Most individuals who rent motorbikes on Koh Phangan will live on. Nevertheless, there are some who assume carrying a helmet is uncool and dashing round corners is enjoyable. These folks get injured. Don’t be considered one of these folks.
I’ve rented a motorcycle many instances, all the time worn a helmet and pushed cautiously and by no means had any points. In case you’re secure and also you drive sensibly, hiring a motorcycle will probably be among the best belongings you do in Koh Phangan. It offers you the liberty to discover at your leisure and cease everytime you see one thing attention-grabbing.
Talking of renting a motorcycle, the Mae Hong Son Loop is a well-liked, lovely journey you gained’t need to miss.
One other enjoyable possibility is to hire a bicycle and be part of this present day half-day journey with a information. Bikes, snacks, water and a information are included within the enjoyable day journey. Click here for details.
- The place: There are rental locations all around the island
- When: Yr-round
- How: Hiring a motorcycle is simple however you might want at hand over your passport as a deposit (strive your finest to not do that). Be sure to take images of the bike earlier than you trip it in case they attempt to blame you for any dings the automobile already had. Don’t trip without insurance both. Click here to affix a half-day biking journey.
- Value: 150 Baht/$5 per day for a motorcycle.
14. Detox at The Yoga Retreat
After operating across the island, taking in all of the issues to do in Koh Phangan, a detox may be very a lot so as. The Yoga Retreat is hidden away within the jungle and provides retreats starting from per week to an entire month.
Throughout your retreat, you’ll spend hours meditating, doing yoga, and feasting on vegan delicacies. In case you don’t have time for a full-blown retreat, the Yoga Retreat additionally provides drop-in yoga lessons.
- The place: Within the jungle, ten minutes from Haad Salad Seashore
- When: Each day
- How: Taxis are the best choice
- Value: 300 Baht/ $9 for a drop at school
☞ SEE ALSO: Top 10 Foods To Try in Thailand
15. Calm down in The Baan Tai Natural Sauna
In case you went a bit too onerous on the Full Moon Social gathering, you may get all of these toxins out of your physique by sweating for an hour or two within the natural sauna. In addition they do massages right here in order for you a bit of additional pampering.
Whereas most assume the one issues to do in Koh Phangan contain partying to a point, Koh Phangan additionally provides tons of the way to chill out and is definitely a well-liked place for retreats.
- The place: Wat Pho Temple, Baan Tai
- When: Each day from 2pm-9pm
- How: Taxi
- Value: 100 Baht/ $3
16. Feast On Seafood at Milky Bay
The place higher to feast on seafood than on a tropical island? Located on the sting of a white sand seaside and boasting a pool looking over the ocean, that is the very definition of meals with a view. Milky Bay is ideal for peaceable eating within the wonderful sunshine, and is likely one of the finest eating places on the island.
- The place: Baan Tai
- When: Each day
- How: Taxi
- Value: 500 Baht/$15 for meals and a drink
17. Get a Therapeutic massage
What higher method to nurse your post-Full Moon Social gathering hangover than by being kneaded like dough by a deceptively robust Thai lady? Put together your self, these massages are hardcore and at factors, you are feeling such as you’re being folded up like origami.
However, the ache is price it for the sunshine and limber feeling you get afterward. I all the time get a therapeutic massage when in Koh Phangan, it’s a must-do.
This isn’t simply one of many prime issues to do in Koh Phangan, it’s among the best things to do in Thailand usually! Don’t depart with out getting one.
- The place: All around the island
- When: Anytime
- How: No have to e-book for many locations, simply stroll in
- Value: 300-1500 Baht/$10-45 for an hour relying on the standard of the institution (avenue masseurs will cost rather a lot lower than these in correct salons)
☞ See Additionally: Ayutthaya Historical Park – The Final Journey Information
18. Meditate With Phra Olarn
Experiencing mindfulness and connecting with your self on a deeper degree can actually make a distinction to the state of your psychological well being. Phra Olarn makes use of particular respiratory strategies and strolling meditation to reinforce wellness and peace of thoughts. Whether or not you’ve meditated earlier than or not, that is undoubtedly price making an attempt out.
- The place: Wat Samai Kongkha
- When: Each day
- How: Taxi or stroll from Salad Seashore
- Value: 30,000 Baht/$930 for a 7 day mindfulness retreat
19. Sunbathe On Thong Nai Pan Seashore
Thong Nai Pan is strictly what you’d count on a seaside on a Thai island to appear to be. Pearly white sand, lush, swaying palms, and turquoise water that glimmers beneath infinite sunshine. Seize your self an ice-cold drink and whereas away the hours as you get your tan on.
- The place: On the Northeast Coast
- When: Each day
- How: Keep in Panburi Village and go from there
- Value: Free
20. Snorkel At Mae Haad Seashore
Snorkelling is certainly considered one of my favorite issues to do in Koh Phangan. There’s rather a lot occurring within the water across the island and fortunate snorkellers may have the prospect to admire tropical fish, coral, rays and different marine wildlife.
- The place: North Coast
- When: Throughout daylight, day by day
- How: Both carry your personal snorkel gear or rent it on the island
- Value: 100 baht/$3 per hour
21. Take a Day Journey To Koh Tao
Assume you’ve carried out all of the issues to do in Koh Phangan? Hop in a ship and head off to neighbouring Koh Tao (Turtle Island). Though it might be smaller and quieter than Koh Phangan, there are quite a few things to do in Koh Tao to maintain you busy…it’s additionally an ideal spot for chilling out.
Koh Tao provides some world-class scuba diving, and inexpensive PADI certifications. In case you’re into diving, a go to right here is likely one of the finest issues to do in Koh Phangan.
- The place: North of Koh Phangan
- When: Yr-round
- How: There are boats that depart recurrently all through the day from Haad Rin and Thong Sala piers
- Value: 400 Baht/ $12
22. See The Waterfalls
Bored with the beautiful sea? Koh Phangan is house to quite a few cascading waterfalls, however be sure to try Paradise Falls, Phaeng Falls, and Than Sadet, which is a crucial website for Thai folks as a result of inscriptions left on the rocks by King Rama VI.
23. Attempt Kitesurfing
In case you’ve ever wished to offer kitesurfing a go, Koh Phangan is a good place to strive it out. AccroKite Koh Phangan is affiliated with IKO (Worldwide Kitesurf Group), so you understand you’re in good fingers!
Throughout the 3-hour expertise, you’ll be taught principle on the seaside, focus on the wind, security, the best way to arrange the kite, and the best way to fly. Then, you’ll enter the water and discover ways to handle the kite.
Apart from having an excellent time and studying one thing new, included within the day are tools, an IKO skilled teacher, and an IKO license on the finish. Click here for more details.
24. ATV Across the Island
Koh Phangan is a jungly, mountainous island, which makes exploring by ATV all of the extra enjoyable! This can be a distinctive factor to do in Koh Phangan and a good way to discover the island.
The adventurous tour is enjoyable for all ranges. Rip round off-track dust tracks, pull as much as superb lookout factors to see the ocean, and benefit from the lush jungle. Included within the journey is a information, tools, water, and insurance coverage. Click here for details.
25. Full-Day Highway Journey Journey
An effective way to see the entire island and discover the attractive nature (seashores, jungle, mountains), is by becoming a member of a day journey.
On this group tour, you’ll try the very best seashores on the island, pure swimming swimming pools and waterfalls, go snorkeling, and have sundowners at a seaside bar. Roundtrip transfers between Haadrin and Thong Sala are included. Discover out extra about this budget-friendly exercise in Koh Phangan, here.
In case you’d relatively get pleasure from a day on the island with your personal group of buddies, you and your companion, or just by your self, you’ll be able to try this private tour as an alternative. You may customise your itinerary and have a driver and an air-conditioned automobile at your disposal all day! Click here for details.
The place to Keep in Koh Phangan
Listed here are some prime motels, hostels & B&B’s in Koh Phangan.
So Good Haad Rin Hostel – rated “Very good” 9.1/10. This is likely one of the highest-rated hostels on the whole island. Individuals love this place. It’s all dorm room lodging however they’ve feminine and coed dorms they usually’re all tremendous clear and comfortable. The place additionally has a enjoyable vibe to it. Click here for details.
Coral Bungalows – rated “Good” 7.2/10. The funds bungalows are round $10 per night time they usually harken again to Thailand of outdated. Fundamental comfortable mattress with a pleasant window, near the seaside. There’s additionally an onsite pool. What extra are you able to ask for? Click here for details.
Alcove Bungalow – rated “Very good” 9.1/10. This property is situated on the west coast of Koh Phangan. Though it’s in a bit extra secluded space, there are bicycles and motorbikes for hire, day journeys could be organized, and also you’ll discover water sports activities like snorkeling and SUP. There’s additionally an onsite restaurant serving Thai and French cuisine. The bungalows listed here are tastefully embellished and supply air-conditioning and ensuite bogs. Click here to be taught extra and e-book this lodging.
Castaway Beach Bungalows – rated “Very good” 9.4/10. In case you’re in search of a chilled-out place to remain, which is situated proper on the sand, then try these seaside bungalows! The wood bungalows supply superb views, a 4-poster mattress, a fridge, a balcony and a hammock. Subsequent door you’ll discover a funky seaside bar – nice for assembly different vacationers. Click here to be taught extra and e-book this bungalow.
Le Divine Comedie Beach Resort – rated “Very Good” 8.5/10. Positioned simply 8 kilometers from Haad Rin Seashore, this property provides inexpensive luxurious. There’s an out of doors infinity pool and an onsite restaurant serving up Thai and Burmese meals. Every of the rooms are uniquely designed and provides non-public balconies, air-conditioning and a minibar. Click here to be taught extra and e-book this lodging.
Panviman Koh Phangan – rated “Fabulous” 8.7/10. This place is one thing out of a dream! For round $100/night time, you’ll be able to get pleasure from this luxury retreat overlooking Thong Nai Pan. There’s a spa, infinity pool and a couple of beachfront eating places. The fashionable, superior double rooms supply a sea view, non-public balcony, air-conditioning and way more. Click here to be taught extra and e-book this lodging.
Prepared for Koh Phangan?
Touching down in Thailand for the primary time is an expertise not like some other. From the second you allow the airport in Bangkok, you’re swept up in a cacophony of colour and noise. It’s thrilling and new but additionally somewhat overwhelming. Koh Phangan provides some respite from the 24/7 chaos of the capital.
Koh Phangan could also be buzzing with power, but it surely additionally has peaceable enclaves the place you’ll be able to escape the world for a second. It provides a combination of pure magnificence and journey alternatives and combines serenity with adrenaline. It’s a curious and distinctive place that you simply’ll simply have to find for your self to actually perceive.
Some photos on this publish are courtesy of Shutterstock. Test them out for royalty-free photos and movies.
Goats On The Highway Advisable Sources For Koh Phangan, Thailand
✓ There are such a lot of adventurous issues to do in Koh Phangan. It’s vital to be sure to have sufficient journey insurance coverage earlier than embarking on any journey, however particularly one the place you’ll be partaking in out of doors actions similar to snorkelling, diving, kayaking, mountain climbing, and so forth.. World Nomads covers virtually all adventurous actions that you can imagine. Click here to get a free quote and be taught extra about this standard journey insurance coverage.
✓ We suggest buying eco-friendly merchandise on your keep in Koh Phangan. We’re personally making an attempt to scale back the quantity of single-use plastic that we use, and encourage you to do the identical throughout your travels.
To keep away from buying plastic water bottles whereas in Koh Phangan, contemplate shopping for a water bottle with a built-in filter similar to LifeStraw or GrayL, or get your self a Steri-Pen. When it comes to utensils, this bamboo set is nice for picnics on the seaside, whereas these glass or metal straws are good for cocktails, fruit juices or a glass of water. Say no to straws and plastic utensils, carry your personal.
✓ There are quite a few inexpensive locations to remain in Koh Phangan. Goats On The Highway makes use of and recommends Reserving.com as a result of their wonderful costs, and cancellation choices. We additionally regularly use Airbnb after we need to e-book a short-term house. Click here to seek for lodging in Koh Phangan on Reserving.com.